Sunday, June 27, 2010

My kind of chaos

I'm sitting in the living room at my daughter and son-in-law's new house, surrounded by boxes, suitcases, and the joyful sounds of hard work accompanied by Michael Buble singing his heart out. What a terrific place to be--even if I had to work like crazy to get here.

I was in the garden before 7 this morning picking green beans, lettuce, radishes, a great big beautiful cabbage, and two lovely heads of cauliflower, and then I finished the weed-eating chore that nearly prostated me yesterday. Church next and then packing the car (curtains, lemon cake, watermelon, garden veggies--oh and let's not forget that suitcase!) and then a long drive in a very full car in very hot weather.

We arrived to join the horde of friends and family helping the young folks move the heavy stuff, and then we set to work unpacking and sorting things and assembling furniture. There's plenty more to do, which is good because we'll be here until Wednesday morning tackling the tough jobs while singing and laughing and talking--and enjoying all those fresh garden veggies.

This evening five of us had dinner at a terrific little sushi restaurant where we raised mugs of green tea to many happy events: a one-year anniversary, a new house, two people starting grad school, a year of cancer survival, and the joy of being together. Yes, it's a terrific place to be, despite the boxes and the disassembled furniture and the chaos. It's a joyful chaos. My very favorite kind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are both beautiful! I'm happy for you all!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy just reading about it! Congratulations to all! :) Betsy

Bardiac said...

Sounds like a great day! Hurray!

Bring some of that lemon cake by here sometime :)

Joy said...

So much to be happy about!