Saturday, June 12, 2010

In a pickle



Heavy rain + bright sunshine = growth...of broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, blueberries, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, peas, beans, bugs, and weeds. We picked the first broccoli and some beautiful tender Bibb lettuce this morning, so we're all set for salad.

Every time I walk past the herb garden I stuff a bunch of fennel leaves in my mouth, and yesterday my weeding in the dill patch made me smell deliciously like dill. I'd rather eat a pickle than smell like one, but dill is much better than some other things I could smell like after bending and stooping under the hot sun up to my elbows in weeds, bugs, and mud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Bev, that sounds so good! What time is dinner?? B

Anonymous said...

You can just see those blueberries going, "what sadness or political change do I know? Woke up this morning and I was still red. Hand me a steel guitar or a bag of herbal tea; I want to become blue." Personally, I just can't get used to the idea of blue being liberal and red being tory. And where are the whigs in all of this?

D.

Bardiac said...

What sort of fruit is that in the second picture? (Looks like medlar pictures I've seen.)

Enjoy the fruits of your garden!

Bev said...

Those are blueberries, still in their early creamy pinkish stage.