Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Dispatches from Slowsville

How long does it take to download a long journal article in pdf format on a dial-up internet connection?

Too long.

So why don't I download this article tomorrow when I'll have access to the campus's speedy internet connection?

Because I want to read this article RIGHT NOW.

Why do I suddenly sound like a two-year-old begging for a lollipop?

I'm trying to be patient, but sometimes this slow dial-up connection makes me crazy. I can use the library's research databases to find essential articles, order books through Ohiolink online, and even save citations in a handy electronic folder--but if I want to read a full-text article, I either wait eons while it downloads or else wait to download it the next time I'm on campus.

But I want to read it NOW. Or at least now-ish.

So I'm waiting, not very patiently, while this long long long journal article downloads very very slowly.

All I can say is it had better be worth the wait.

1 comment:

O'Nonymous said...

This topic reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw yesterday. It said, simply, "Try Wait."