Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gifts that keep giving

The FedEx guy pulled up to deliver a gift. I was pretty excited about the gift (a teeny-tiny iPod Shuffle! In fuchsia! With my name engraved on the front!), but he was more excited about my car:

"That your Volvo?"

"Yeah."

"How much you want for it?"

"It's not for sale."

"Come on, how much would you sell it for?"

"Well, I got it for free...but you couldn't possibly pay me what it's worth."

Then he wanted to know the whole remarkable story, which I told him. (In case you missed it, read it here.)

"Huh," he said. "But if you got it for free, you could sell it for anything and make a profit."

"Trust me," I said, "Some gifts carry a value far beyond the pricetag, and that Volvo is one of them."

"Well," he said, "if you ever change your mind...."

But I'm holding on to my Volvo. It's not as cute as my new iPod Shuffle, but every time I see it, it makes me want to sing.

2 comments:

Joy said...

$10,000!

How interesting the way the world works. Did he offer you anything for the lawn chair?

So, the burning questions is, what are you going to load onto that Shuffle?

MountainLaurel said...

How can you put a price on an answered yet unasked prayer?