Monday, June 29, 2009

Filling my tank

First thing this morning I went out to the garden to fill my hands with weeds choking out the young okra plants and my mouth with plump fresh blueberries plucked fresh from the bushes. I filled my ears with the sounds of water running in the creek, kingfishers chattering in the trees, and cows complaining in the meadow across the road, and I filled my eyes with the feathery green of fennel, the variegated browns of good rich earth, and the brilliant orange of creekside tiger lilies.

I breathed in the scents of growth and morning, and more than anything else I wanted to hold that breath and carry it with me through the coming week so I'll have something wholesome to breathe in the hospital and then back home after my surgery. It may be some time before I can easily get down to the garden or up to the butterfly meadow, but meanwhile I've filled up my senses with fuel for the journey. I just hope I can get back on my feet before the tank runs out.

1 comment:

Bardiac said...

Good luck with the surgery.