Monday, April 27, 2009

Ruminating

One of my students keeps writing about the problems that arise when students spend too much time maintaining their "online dairies," and I so enjoy the image of tiny electronic bovines mooing away deep within verdant server farms that I'm reluctant to point out the small but important difference between "dairy" and "diary." Do students rise at 4 a.m. to milk the virtual cows in their online dairies, and what do they do with all that virtual milk? Where does one store the silage in a virtual dairy? And are e-cows happy cows?

Problems like these I'd gladly read about, but that's not what I'm reading today. Ah well, there's always next semester.

1 comment:

Bardiac said...

I can only be grateful that the developers of Everquest didn't think of that as a tradeskill.