Monday, April 06, 2009

Caught up or left behind?

I don't want to say this too loud lest the Powers That Be dump a pile of work on my head, but: I think I'm caught up.

I have no papers or exams to grade. I am prepared for tomorrow's class. I could teach Wednesday's classes blindfolded and with both hands tied behind my back. I have updated my online syllabi as needed.

I have submitted the paperwork to hire two adjuncts and sent them a stack of helpful information. I have written and distributed letters thanking various colleagues for serving as judges for our scholarship competitions. I have started on the book orders for fall classes, except that I need to review a few texts before I make a final decision. (Has anyone seen the new edition of the MLA guide? I don't know whether to require it for freshman composition.)

I'm prepared for this afternoon's two committee meetings, and I have approved supplemental questions on course evaluations. I have even read the immense document the provost distributed related to perceived inequities in course loads across campus. I don't know what to do about the problem, but at least I am well informed.

I have taken the photographs for this week's Scientific Imaging assignment, and later this afternoon I'll go down to the lab to run them through Photoshop. First, though, I'll go to the rec center for a badly needed workout--I enjoyed some wonderful walking weather over the weekend, but I haven't done a full workout a the rec center since last Tuesday.

Why have I been skipping workouts? Because at no point last week could I have called myself "caught up." In fact, I was the antithesis of caught up, whatever you call that--left behind? I kept hearing the voice of the Red Queen urging Alice on: "Here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

Along with Alice, I'd like to reply, "I'd rather not try, please....I'm quite content to stay here."

I couldn't say that last week, but today is another story. I think I'm caught up--but don't tell anyone or I'll have to start running again just to stay exactly where I am.

No comments: