Thursday, August 28, 2008

An unmissable meeting

It's bad enough to have to teach classes on Labor Day, but now comes word that an important committee will have its first meeting of the year on Monday.

At 5 p.m.

On Labor Day.

Moreover, the administrator who usually runs this meeting will be out of town for a wedding. I suggested that she could stay here and let the rest of the committee go out of town Labor Day weekend, but she was not amused.

So I was griping to the assistant administrator who will be leading the meeting instead, but he pointed out that he's supposed to get Labor Day off, unlike the teaching faculty who make up the rest of the committee.

"I'm not even supposed to be at work that day," he said. "I'll have to come to campus just to lead the meeting."

"Perfect," I said. "Why don't you just stay home and we'll all meet at your house at 5 p.m.?"

He looked at me blankly.

"You could toss some meat on the grill, serve up some potato salad and sweet corn, and if you're lucky we won't even notice that we're working on Labor Day!"

"The committee will meet in the conference room," he said.

So I guess you know what I'll be doing at 5 p.m. on Labor Day.

Laboring.

No comments: