Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Newsy

A quiet campus feels empty, but all it takes to make colleagues come out of the woodwork is a free lunch. At today's campus cookout I encountered a bunch of people I haven't seen since the middle of May and got caught up on all the news, including a thrilling toad-relocation plan, a proposal for a faculty rap video, and the usual gripes about course evaluations.

"One student commented that I should keep my shirt on in class," explained a colleague, "but I never took my shirt off! Do you think it's a metaphor?"

Close reading of students' comments is too much work for such a lovely day. Instead, I'll quietly celebrate my big news: the Texas kid is finally coming home--with his pilot's license! He ought to be on the road right now, so I can start looking for him late tomorrow. Haven't seen him since January. Here's hoping for good weather and smooth travel as he wends his way along the highways toward home.

No comments: