Thursday, June 28, 2007

What I'm learning in Olympia

1. It's important to leverage synergies through cross-fertilization.

2. No matter how much you dress it up in fancy jargon, a bad idea is still a bad idea.

3. It takes a team to get the big swing moving.

4. Teaching at an institution where most faculty members actually like and respect each other is a rare and precious privilege.

5. No matter how well I think I know my colleagues, they never cease to surprise me.

6. If the food is good, the view is good, and the college is footing the bill, there's no shame in eating at the same restaurant three times a week.

7. The difference between seafood in Olympia and seafood in the midwest is like the difference between the goldfish and the goldfish cracker, the cottage and the cheese, the Rhine and the rhinestone.

8. There is a limit to how long I can last without writing, but after I've reached it, my fingers start to itch and my brain explodes.

9. No matter how many smart people are in the dinner line, the line isn't going anywhere without adequate serving spoons.

10. When the question is "Why did you choose a career in higher education?" and your answer is "Because I wanted to hang out with smart people," everyone will look at you funny--even the smart people.

No comments: