Friday, June 15, 2007

Of humming and hair

This morning while listening to a paper on a topic totally unrelated to my research, I suddenly understood how to organize the next stage in my big research project. That's the advantage of academic conferences: get the brain cells humming and they suddenly start making beautiful music. Now I'm eager to get home and get to work on the project.

First, though, a few more sessions, some of which I'm really eager to experience. I hope I don't have to hear the word "imaginary" used as a noun too many more times, because it makes me crazy. What's wrong with plain old "imagination"? And I hope I don't have to sit behind any more hair-obsessed scholars. This morning the tall woman right in front of me spent most of the session alternately smoothing and fluffing her long blonde hair, drawing attention away from the speakers and toward her tresses. If her hair requires that much public attention, I'd be glad to supply some scissors.

But I'm willing to ignore all that in gratitude for the great idea that popped into my head this morning. I wrote it down so I won't forget it. Now I just need to get home and get to work.

No comments: