Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Backing up is hard to do

You know that obnoxious beeping sound a big truck makes when it's backing up? I need that. Granted, I'm not exactly moving about in a way that might endanger innocent bystanders, but I am doing a lot of backing up, and if nothing else, the beeps would let bystanders know that I'm working really hard even though it looks as if I'm just sitting here staring at my computer screen.

Backing up is hard to do, even with an IT person pitching in. I need to back up all the important files on my office computer because (drum roll, please) I'm getting a brand-new computer! A laptop!! Supplied by the college!!!! Fully loaded with spiffy new programs and lots of space! This is good news.

The bad news is that my old computer just isn't in the mood for backing up files, so it has to be encouraged, gently nudged along toward completion. Anyone passing by would think I'm just sitting and staring, but really I'm doing some essential hand-holding for a tired, cranky computer allergic to backing up. If all this backing up were accompanied by warning beeps, then instead of a slacker I'd look like a woman at work--and the effect would be even more dramatic if I were wearing a yellow hardhat. Wouldn't the hallowed halls of academe be a different kind of place if professors walked around wearing hard hats and beeping?

Then again, maybe it's just as well that we don't.

No comments: