Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Terrific trousers

Black stretch corduroy, perfect fit, and not one but TWO functioning pockets. Women's clothes with usable pockets?! How can this be? Someone must have made a mistake at the factory.

Generally I'm the one who makes the mistake: I'm always buying clothes without pockets. I hate carrying a purse, see, so I generally stuff a billfold in my briefcase, but then I need a place to stash my keys and maybe a Kleenex or some chapstick. My sartorial needs are few, but working pockets make the list, and they're not easy to locate on women's clothes. Last summer I stepped way out of character and bought two complete outfits in one day, including five separate items of clothing, and not until I brought it all home did I notice that I had failed to purchase a single pocket. Not one!

And I also have in my closet at least four pairs of dress trousers that have pockets so small I can't even fit my keys in there. What is that pocket for? I can just about fit two fingers into it, so if I ever need to keep those two fingers warm, I'm all set.

No comments: