Thursday, January 04, 2007

Blogophobia

Interesting article about academics who blog over at Inside Higher Ed (read it here), with some enlightening (and sometimes contentious) comments at the end. While I found the article enjoyable and thought-provoking, I was left with a chilling realization of the dangers involved in making one's thoughts public. People have been fired for doing what I'm doing. Is it worth it?

I've been writing this blog for nearly a year, and I enjoy it immensely. Far from keeping me away from my more important writing projects, this little exercise helps me write more--and more fluidly. Even if I'm not writing every day, I am at least thinking about writing every day, so that when I'm ready to write, the brain cells are primed and ready to go--whether it's a scholarly article or a bit of comic silliness. In this sense, blogging seems beneficial.

I have also been very careful to avoid portraying my institution in a negative light, and I believe I've been successful. But who knows? People (and institutions) have been known to take offense at the oddest things. Surely my blog is perfectly harmless...so why am I suddenly so spooked?

I want to keep writing. I need to keep writing. I'm afraid to keep writing. What shall I do?

5 comments:

lucyrain said...

Keep writing.

JM said...

ditto lucyrain.

Lynn Thiel said...

There's this thing called the First Amendment; moreover, if you were to stop blogging, I would lose a major source of entertainment.

JM said...

To provide more feedback than I did previously...

I've been part of the "academic blogosphere" for almost three years. It is true that I am not a prof , although one day I will be. But I know a great deal about the people who populate this corner of the blogosphere, who they are and what they talk about, where they teach (even if they're pseudonymous), what they teach, etc.

Sure, academic bloggers have to worry a little bit when it comes to public thoughts and representations of departments, but so do NON-ACADEMIC bloggers. Who are the people really getting "in trouble" for blogging? Employees talking about trade secrets, or in general being "bad citizens" with regards to their company. If I talked about my clients the way some people talk about their department, I would _expect_ to be fired. Thus, I don't do it.

I would venture to say that there are plenty of issues specific to academia that make academic bloggers think they're special and that rules of common sense do not apply, but really -- rules of common sense apply.

Don't write anything you wouldn't say to someone personally if pressed on it.

Don't lie.

If you're going to say negative things for the sake of being negative, don't do it.

If you're going to say negative things in the course of a discussion that highlights issues in an attempt to fix said issues, there's no harm unless you're breaking one of the rules above (like "don't lie") or you're talking about "trade secrets" (or the academic equivalent).

Not to be all reductive, but it's really not that difficult to be a good academic citizen and a blogger -- of which you are a fine example.

Bev said...

Excellent rules, JM. Would that more people would follow them, both online and off. Thanks for putting things into perspective. And thanks to all for the encouragement. My heart will go on. And so will my blog. For now, anyway.