Monday, July 10, 2006

TV or not TV

We're thinking seriously about getting rid of the TV--or not the TV exactly but the dinky satellite dish that serves it. The husband would be happy to get rid of the dish since it no longer offers Cleveland Indians games, and the college kid would also be happy to get rid of it since she rarely watches TV--but she also rarely lives at home, so her vote doesn't count. The young man is addicted to ESPN and vociferously votes for keeping the dish. I am on the fence.

Reasons to keep the dish:
1. Iron Chef.
2. The Closer.
3. Monk.
4. There's no TV reception here and cable can't come out this far without a major infusion of cash.
5. The ESPN addict works pretty hard and deserves a break.
6. The cost comes out to just over $10 a week, which is about what I waste on Diet Coke with Lime.
7. We lived without TV for eight years back in the 80s and I got truly tired of the bizarre responses I encountered whenever I happened to mention that we didn't have TV. You'd have thought we were unAmerican child-abusing anti-education ignorami instead of just very busy grad students who couldn't afford cable. Do I really want to go through that again?

Reasons to delete the dish:
1. $45 a month and rising for basic service.
2. No more Cleveland Indians games.
3. No local news.
4. Divide the $45 cost between the two of us who actually watch TV and that comes out to $22.50 for ESPN and $22.50 for the three shows I watch regularly. I love The Closer, but I catch maybe six episodes each season. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy the whole season on DVD?
5. That would be $45 a month I could spend on my Amazon wish list or lunches with colleagues or a single size 14 men's shoe for the ESPN addict.

So far we're still in the talking stage but I feel myself being pulled toward the darken-the-TV side. I'd really like to buy some books...and the ESPN addict's feet are still growing. But I know better than to make a decision like this on the spur of the moment, so instead I'm thinking and seeking advice. Have I overlooked any important pros or cons? What will happen after the screen goes dark? Will I be able to admit that we don't have TV or will I have to take up a life of deceit? Stay tuned for the stirring conclusion on the next episode of "TV or Not TV."

1 comment:

jaywalke said...

How about a compromise?

I am a sports junkie, too, but I plan to pull the plug on my tv as soon as my satellite contract ends. I'll be getting my fix from satellite radio instead.

It reaches more places, is less than one third the cost, and I can take with me in the car. It also allows me to get more done while listening to hockey and football games.


word verification: fxgnar - a special effects man who was a little careless with the pyrotechnics