Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Impelling

I've been wanting to write but my impeller was broken. Fortunately it was under warranty, so now it is back at work impelling frantically as if there's no tomorrow.

There is, however, a tomorrow, and it's called Ash Wednesday, a significant event even for a Methodist. "For Lent I think I'll give up griping," I proclaimed over lunch in the faculty lounge. Several of my devoted colleagues offered to help me keep the pledge. They'll need a pretty big roll of duct tape.

Or an impeller. I'm not entirely sure what an impeller is but it sounds impressive, and if it can keep my house warm and cosy, what can it not do? I'll order one in every color.

3 comments:

jaywalke said...

An impeller is like a propeller, but it attaches to the middle of a drive shaft rather than at the end. It is used to impart a force to a liquid, such as one inside a pipe.

Jetskis use these for propulsion. The impeller is inside a housing on the bottom of the 'ski. The spinning of the impeller pulls water into the intake at the front, and forces a jet of water out the rear. Changing the direction of the jet turns the 'ski, which removes the need for a rudder.

jaywalke said...

Oh, and for Lent I am giving up religion.

Laura said...

I thought one of the benefits of being Methodist was the ability to not observe Ash Wednesday.

For Lent, I'd like to give up snow tired. But Mother Nature has more to do with that than I do.