Tuesday, December 03, 2013

An empty apology

An apology ought to be a good thing, indicating a measure of remorse, humility, and acceptance of responsibility, but a certain type of apology makes me crazy. It usually comes in an e-mail message: "Dear prof. I won't be in class today because [insert lame excuse]. I apologize."

For what? A student's absence isn't going to break my heart, and if the student has missed a month of class already, apologies are the least of his concerns. Instead of apologies, I'd rather see some explanation of how he intends to keep up with the course material.

And then what am I supposed to do with that apology? Offer forgiveness? I'm not going to absolve the student from doing the work just because he said the magic word.

If he's determined to apologize, he ought to look in the mirror: "Self, I'm sorry I can't get my act together to make it to class. I apologize for consistently spending more time playing Grand Theft Auto than doing homework, and I resolve to lock up the liquor while working on my research paper. I'm willing to accept the consequences like a man and to take steps to improve my self-discipline." 

And then he ought to chain himself to his desk until the research paper is done.
 

No comments: