Thursday, October 11, 2012

Testing one two three

I'm watching a room full of students take an exam and wondering wondering wondering about many things, like why do exams inspire so much coughing? Students who never cough all semester long are suddenly overcome by coughing fits that threaten to blow out the windows. Maybe it's a code, the Coughing Code. I hate to tell them, but if they're not ready for this exam, coughing won't help.

And then there's a student in the back picking his nose. Yuck. Wish I hadn't seen that. But maybe he's trying to  gross me out so I won't look his way so often. The Nose-Picking Strategem? Um, yuck.

What's up with the students who refuse to clear their books and papers off their desks? It's a long exam and they'll need the whole hour to finish, but while their classmates are already starting to write, a few slowpokes are trying to squeeze in a few more minutes of study time. How long do I have to stand there with the exam in my hand while the laggards struggle to clear their desks? 

And why do I suddenly feel as if I'm teaching third grade?

No comments: