Thursday, December 16, 2010

Stitching and snapping

A stitch in time kills two birds with one stone, but no birds were injured in the mending of these trousers.

Let me start over: snow is falling so I'm staying home and trying to get caught up on household chores like the mending pile, which was stacked with torn jeans and work pants that my husband wanted patched even though they would end up more patch than pants. Now I love the creative part of sewing but I hate hate hate to mend, which explains why the mending pile was so tall I couldn't see over it when I sat down at the sewing table, which sits right on top of a heat vent in the warmest room in the house, making sewing hot work.

So I decided to open the window, which looks out on the birdfeeders in the front yard. Watch the birds or sew the pants? I decided to do both: I opened the window and the screen, set the camera next to the sewing machine, and alternated between stitching patches and snapping pictures. The birds flitter about the feeders so quickly that they're impossible to count accurately, but at one point I counted two dozen out there at one time--juncoes and cardinals, finches and titmice, nuthatches, woodpeckers, chickadees, and bluejays.

My mending took a little longer than it should have, but the birds made the experience much more pleasant than usual. Next time my husband wants some mending done quickly, he'll just have to order up some snow and birds to motivate me to take a stitch in time.

4 comments:

Bardiac said...

Red-bellied woodpecker?

So, I'm confused. Why doesn't your husband mend his clothes if he wants them mended and you hate to mend?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots of birds. That is not an easy thing to do. Mine come and go so fast, I couldn't possibly get off a shot. Thanks. mar

Bev said...

Yes, that's a red-bellied woodpecker. We seem them all winter long.

And funny thing about mending: my husband actually does mend his own clothes, usually when we're on a long car trip. He mends (by hand) while I drive. However, this particular mending project was too complicated for hand-mending: he cut up some old totally worn-out jeans and trousers to make patches for some old and partly worn-out jeans and trousers. We would have to drive to Alaska to allow him to mend all that by hand, so he asked me to do it on the machine as part of his Christmas gift. I was happy to oblige.

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, Bev!