Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Visions and revisions

Yesterday I received the verdict from an academic journal to which I had submitted an article in February: revise and resubmit. This is fine with me. The flaws the readers found in the article are exactly what I had expected, and they said some pretty nice things about my work so I'm not complaining. This will be my first big summer project.

Except wait, it'll have to be my second big summer project. First I need to write a paper to deliver at the ASLE conference in June, a paper that I'll later revise and submit to another academic journal. That's two big projects involving revision, and that's just the beginning: I need to revise syllabi for fall classes and redesign writing assignments and work with a faculty member from another department on a new learning community we'll be teaching in the fall.

I'll also be doing some revision in other areas. In June I'll be revising my family status to include the mother-in-law role, and I'll have to revise my income tax withholding when I lose my daughter as a dependent. My surgeon will be editing out a pesky organ later in June, and I'll have to revise my summer gardening schedule to allow time for recovery. (I'll be laid up during tomato season! That's just wrong.)

Finally, I'm planning a major revision to my job title. I'll still be teaching, but this fall I'll move over to the new library to serve as the first director of our new Center for Teaching Excellence. I've always wanted to live in a library, so now I'll get my chance!

What vision do I have for this new venture? A vision of revision after revision--and it starts right now.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Wait - what does this mean to the English Dept.?! Will you still be teaching English?

Bev said...

Don't worry, I won't abandon my beloved department. I'll still be teaching two or three courses each semester.

Joy said...

Is someone else chairing the English Dept?

Bev said...

We're working on that. Give me a week or two and I'll have an answer.

JM said...

So much going on! I will be happy to see you at ASLE.