Monday, April 27, 2009

Comings and goings


Orioles are back! I thought I would have an oriole photo to share this morning, but they're all blurry. Neither do I have any photos of the rose-breasted grosbeak that turned up yesterday. They're shy, those fellows, and they seem to view cameras with suspicion. Not so the red-bellied woodpeckers, which go about their business without any apparent awareness of my presence.

Fire pinks and waterleaf are blooming and the first crop of asparagus is ready to cut. The Dutchman's Breeches in the photo are the last blossoms remaining on a patch of hillside that was covered in blossoms a week ago. Trilliums remain abundant and beautiful.

Over the weekend I did my first weed-eating of the season, got my first sunburn, and encountered my first tick. But the joy of hearing orioles again outweighs the annoyance of ticks, and the sunburn just makes me fit in with my red-bellied and rose-breasted and orange-backed feathered friends. Call me a red-shouldered tick-avoiding asparagus-fancying weed-eater. That's about right.

No comments: