Thursday, September 13, 2007

Evaluating evaluations

I just received an e-mail from the provost thanking me for writing a colleague's annual evaluation. "It must have been a joyful task," she wrote. And you know what? She's right.

Writing evaluations is one part of my job that I really enjoy. I love visiting my colleagues' classes because I always learn something and I find their passion for teaching inspiring. I enjoy reading updates on their research and their plans for the future. I don't always enjoy reading student evaluations because there's a certain inanity to many of the comments; I don't really need to hear from any more students who think it's unreasonable that a Writing Intensive class might, of all things, require a lot of writing. But I read them, glean what's helpful, and move on.

And I really enjoy writing about my colleagues and bringing their accomplishments to the awareness of others. When I nominate a colleague for an award or write a letter of support for a sabbatical request or write an evaluation that will be a part of a tenure file, and when my efforts produce positive results, I'm like a parent whose child has just earned a round of applause: "Yep, that's my kid up there! Part of me! Couldn't be prouder!"

I suppose things would be different if I had a group of cranky or creepy or annoying colleagues in my department, but I am blessed with some really wonderful co-workers. Spending time observing and writing about wonderful people: could there be a more joyful task?

No comments: