Friday, January 26, 2007

Rural rap

This morning my American Lit Survey class looked at Sara Orne Jewett's "A White Heron" and Hamlin Garland's "Under the Lion's Paw," and one of the students suggested that these stories are like two different types of country music: one peppy and perhaps a bit sappy and the other more of a working man's blues. (Which reminds me of the very silly riddle: what happens when you play country music backward? You get your dog back, you get your truck back, you get your wife back...)

My student may be right, but here's my question: why country music? Why don't we have rap music related to rural life? "Under the Lion's Paw" has all the ingredients for a great rap--oppressive landlords, marauding grasshoppers, hopeless homeless people, and the threat of random violence, albeit with a pitchfork--and a "White Heron" rap could go all Freudian about boys 'n' guns, complete with a metaphoric rape of innocence. That's a rap I'd listen to, but who will write it?

3 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...

Apparently you've missed Weird Al Yankovic's video Amish Paradise.It's rural rap, not necessarily good, but I believe it's the first of the burgeoning genre.

Anonymous said...

Rural rap? Wow! That’s amazing concept. I am having a friend who writes rap lyrics. I can suggest him this new idea. Thank you.