Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Life lessons

Things I have learned this week:

1. There is a limit to the number of habanero peppers I can chop without feeling as if I'm inhaling fire, and the number is well below the seven I chopped yesterday.

2. To persuade a wood tick to disengage its mouthparts from one's limb, nothing works better than Vicks Vapo-Rub.

3. One way to end up at the top of the list on Google is to use the word "Defunkify" in a blog posting. Debunkify debunkify debunkify.

4. It is possible to buy comfortable, attractive shoes in a ladies' size 10 wide, but not here. I recently drove 100 miles to buy such a pair of shoes because the local stores kept telling me, "We don't stock 10 wides. There's no demand for them." I kept saying, "If you want demand, I'm perfectly willing to be demanding." Apparently that's not the kind of demand they're looking for.

5. After all these years, I still don't know what to tell the haircutterperson. Yesterday I said, "Just a trim," and this new haircutterperson said, "Do you want anything off the length?" I was stymied: how does one trim hair without taking anything off the length? We had a brief and not very enlightening conversation and I ended up with a haircut that appears to be okay, although it's hard to tell just yet.

No comments: