Friday, November 17, 2023

The return of Friday Pie Day

A year ago I wrote about the cancellation of our campus's annual Friday Pie Day, when employees mingled over slices of pie on the last Friday before Thanksgiving, a lovely tradition that fell victim to our ongoing budget crisis. Things might be looking up, I wrote, but "I won't believe the College has recovered from its budget crisis until I see a room full of campus employees happily eating pie."

Well we still haven't recovered entirely, but I'm pleased to report that Friday Pie Day is back--and I had just a little bit to do with its resurrection. Last week I was meeting with the brand-new Provost about an entirely unrelated matter when I wistfully wondered aloud when the annual Friday Pie Day might return.

She'd never heard of it, so I had to explain: it's one of the few occasions when faculty, staff, and administrators can sit around a table casually, drawn together by the offer of many types of pie. (And whipped cream, of course. For some folks pie is just a vehicle for whipped cream.) The new provost seemed vaguely interested in the idea and even brought it up at the Department Chairs' meeting on Monday. 

And now it's back! For lunch today I enjoyed a delicious piece of blackberry pie accompanied by a chat with some colleagues I don't normally see too often. It's been an exhausting semester and a week crammed full with meetings and madness, but this morning the anticipation of pie kept me going--and now the afterglow will carry me through my one remaining class.

Sometimes pie makes everything better.   

 



No comments: