Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Taking a gamble on student writing

Decision time! Two weeks until classes start and I still haven't figured out how to adapt my writing assignments to the presence of artificial intelligence. I've done some reading and writing and thinking about the topic and I've jerked awake from some annoying nightmares, but now that it's time to actually write the assignments, I'm stumped. How do I get students to do their own writing?

Require more in-class writing, by hand. Until someone invents an AI-equipped pencil, I can be sure that students are doing their own work. 

But then I'll have to read their handwriting. Time to stock up on magnifying glasses and eyedrops.

And in-class writing is bound to be less polished and coherent than out-of-class writing. Allow them to revise for additional points after it's graded? More work for me, but probably better papers.

I want them to draw evidence from texts in their writing, but many students use electronic texts, which means I'll have to allow them to refer to their phones or computers while writing in class, which means I'll have to monitor all those screens to make sure they're being used only for accessing texts. 

Ack! This is too difficult.

Stick with out-of-class writing but run everything through an AI detection program. Essays will presumably be more readable and polished and students will practice the kind of drafting-and-revision process that we all know and love.

But AI detection programs aren't foolproof and disputes are bound to arise. Last semester when a student's paper was flagged as 100 percent AI-generated, I had a hard time moving the discussion past the yes-you-did-no-I-didn't stage. Disputes and appeals suck up time and energy, souring my days and intruding on my nightmares.

Incorporate AI into the writing process. I've heard all kinds of ideas: Use AI as an idea-generator or outline-creator. Have students write a compelling thesis statement in class and then use AI to generate paragraphs. Get students to critique AI-generated text and fill in gaps from their reading or their own experience. 

But I'm just old-school enough to find these ideas distasteful. I want to see human minds at work, not algorithms spinning words--but I fear that I won't be able to tell the difference.

Trust my students to do what's right. This would be my preferred option, but in the current climate, it's just not realistic to expect all students to resist the lure of a tool that promises quick, easy results and good grades. Besides, their idea of what's right may differ dramatically from mine. 

Right now, though, the right thing to do is to make a decision about my fall writing assignments. The options keep spinning around in my head like a roulette wheel that promises either lasting success or instant disaster. The only way to make the wheel stop is to write those assignments, but I wish each decision didn't feel like such a huge gamble. 

5 comments:

Nicoleandmaggie.Wordpress.com said...

I think it’s important to think hard about what the goals of each assignment are. Is it about deep understanding of a topic, is it about understanding organizational structure, is it about having students relate something to their own experiences, etc. Whats appropriate for one leaning objective won’t be for another.

Ann said...

As a math prof, I was always in awe of my colleagues in other departments who had piles of papers to grade. Whew....
So maybe this isn't such a helpful comment, but.... did you know that Google Photos will 'translate' handwritten text for you? I'm not sure it is perfect, but I've been amazed at how well it has done with my own hastily scribble notes.... It changes it to text and I can put it in a text document.

Might be helpful?

Anonymous said...

Hi: My idea would be to simply create a policy related to the use of artificial intelligence in your class. Spell it out in writing and then simply have them sign an agreement that they will abide by the policy. If a student refuses to sign on then have a meeting with the student encouraging them to either drop the course or provide a logical reason why they must use artificial intelligence to do the work required in your class. It’s a kinda/sorta contract, but it should keep the good students honest.

Bev said...

Good point about the purpose of the assignment. I'm also thinking about the different expectations I have in an upper-level class full of English majors versus a lower-level general education course. So there won't be a one-size-fits all policy but a series of purposeful adjustments.

I have never tried using Google photos to translate student handwriting, but that day is coming.

So much work, so little time....

Garry said...

If only you could trust AI to write the assignments.