Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Great ideas illuminating the path ahead

When the academic Powers that Be proclaim that we need to work on negotiating the compliance landscape, my first question runs toward wardrobe: does this kind of excursion call for pith helmets, snowshoes, or parasols? I guess I'm going to find out because the compliance landscape plays an important part in our institutional goals for the year. I'll keep my eyes on the new president so I know when to reach for appropriate accessories.

Whatever landscape we're entering this year, I'll be well equipped with good ideas. I brought a container full of them today, tiny yellow tomatoes that look like lightbulbs, so sweet and juicy that every time I eat one I'm reminded that planting them was a really great idea. I'll take my tiny lightbulbs to the workshop I'm leading this afternoon and tell my colleagues I'll share my great ideas with you if you share yours with the rest of us.

I hope they'll comply--otherwise, the landscape will feel really lonely.


Edible lightbulbs--great idea!

 

2 comments:

Bardiac said...

What is a "compliance landscape"? Who's supposed to be compliant? Faculty? Staff? Students? All?

Bev said...

The compliance landscape refers to the wide range of federal and state regulations with which institutions of higher education have to comply. Now we have a compliance officer to make sure we are aware of all the regs and comply with them properly. Resistance is futile!