Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Add 'torture skills' to my resume

My new department chair hasn't even taken office yet but I'm already starting to torture her. You'll be my department chair until I retire, I tell her, so you'd better start planning the party now.

Here we are immersed in retirement season and some of my colleagues adamantly refuse any sort of celebration. They don't want parties, cards, cakes, speeches, or even a farewell video featuring fond memories from long-time colleagues.

Not me. I want it all! And I keep coming up with suggestions to share with my new department chair. Today I demand hot-air balloon rides, tomorrow a campus-wide Scrabble tournament, and who knows what I'll come up with next week? Poetry slam, sushi bar, 76 trombones and a big parade--I could go on. 

And I will. Consider it my public service, peppering the department chair with ridiculous demands so that she'll be prepared to handle more serious issues when they arise. So someone has to torture the new department chair, and it may as well be me. After all, I've got the most experience.

No comments: