Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Grief/relief

Days after my father's memorial service, I keep waiting for that intense feeling of loss I experienced when my mother died--the sense that the world had suddenly gone dim, the nightmares about misplacing something important, the sudden urge to call her on the phone and the grief when I realized it would never happen again. 

None of this has happened since Dad's death. Even the memorial service, which was moving and very well done, left me dry-eyed. I enjoyed chatting with family and old friends, visiting places that were meaningful to me once and that I won't have any good reason to visit again, but instead of loss, I'm ashamed to find myself experiencing an immense sense of relief.

I'm relieved, of course, that his suffering is over, that the lifelong workaholic will finally have a chance to rest. But I'm also relieved that I'll no longer need to make those awkward phone calls, yelling down the phone line in hopes that he'd understand a fraction of what I was trying to say. 

I'm relieved that we won't ever again have to re-litigate every stupid thing I've ever done in my whole entire life. Once when I was a kid I lost a shoe, and for the rest of his life my father characterized me as the kind of person who's always losing things, a person no one else in my life would recognize. But the shoe-losing version of me died with Dad, and I am relieved to let her go.

Since my father died, I've been telling people that I intend to honor his death by forgetting every horrible thing he ever said or did, but it's not easy because so many of the happy times have horrible bits attached to them like leeches. Last week my brothers and I were comparing notes and realized that we had all recently vastly over-tipped a server in memory of all the times we'd had to go back into a restaurant and add to the tip after one of our father's epic public tantrums. If nothing else, his temper made us all generous tippers.

Well your father couldn't have been all bad--look how great all of you turned out! I heard this from several people last week and they're right: my father was not all bad, and toward the end of his life he was trying to be very, very good. He endowed us with an appreciation for hard work, independence, and humor, and our complicated upbringing made us resilient and self-sufficient, able to compartmentalize our feelings so we could act rationally.

So that's what I'm doing now. I've been sick for the entire month of July, still struggling with a lingering sinus infection, still getting negative results on Covid tests but feeling guilty every time I cough in public, still trying to power my way through all kinds of estate-related details even though all I really want to do is sleep. I don't have room in my life right now for loss, so I think I'll set it aside for later. Which is a huge relief.

 





4 comments:

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

Grieving takes various forms; it's a process of coming to terms with loss, not necessarily of feeling sad. Your life is different now, and as you say, you no longer have in your life someone whose tempers need to be dealt with or worked around. Illness and sleep are a way of letting the body grieve while the mind does other things. My dad is a lot like yours, so I recognize the way other people react to how great his kids are. Best wishes to you and your brothers!

nicoleandmaggie said...

Sympathy. I do wonder how I will feel once my father dies. I think I just can't know until it happens.

Even so, my grandmother's death brought a feeling of relief-- even though she was well-loved and not problematic at all, she'd had Alzheimer's and I think a lot of the grieving was done pre-death, because Alzheimer's really is a slow death of self. We even saw this with our cats-- the one who had an unexpected stroke brought huge waves of grief at her death, but the one who slowly died of cancer-- we grieved while she was dying and the death itself included relief.

Bev said...

I feel this deeply. Dad had been in decline for some time, so we had a chance to get used to the idea of his death, and we also had some opportunities to process some issues from the past. The end felt a bit anticlimactic. But it's still early days--I know I'm not done feeling things yet.

Bardiac said...

My thoughts are with you and yours.