Friday, January 21, 2022

Can't live the life of the mind without lunch

I found ice in my hair when I got in the car this morning, which suggests that if I must scrape the ice off my car when the temperature is in the single digits, I ought to dry my hair first. But I survived that little adventure, just as I've survived the epidemic of yawning in my classes today. Judging from my impact on students, I could make a bundle marketing today's lectures as a sleep aid.

But instead let's celebrate surviving the first week of classes despite heavy weather, increasing Covid cases, and extra activities associated with my service on a search committee. By the time I'm done this evening, I will have been on campus for twelve solid hours, and here's a dilemma: if I teach at 8, 9, 11, and 1, meet with a job candidate at 10:30, and attend the candidate's presentation at noon, when am I supposed to eat lunch?

When I finally got to it--after 2 p.m.!--my lunch was pretty special: leftover lasagna, which I made from scratch yesterday afternoon. Anyone who goes home after a hard day's work and then puts together a big pan of lasagna ought to be showered with gold stars, applause, and fireworks, but my reward for yesterday's hard work was the opportunity to finally sit down this afternoon at my desk and enjoy a steaming hot lunch of leftover lasagna.

 

 


 

 

No comments: