Thursday, November 11, 2021

Is there anything we can't blame on the weather?

Is there anything we can't blame on the weather? There's lots of misery going around this week and we're badly in need of a scapegoat, so let's give it a try:

I'm behind on my grading because I got sick and stayed home feeling miserable for two and a half days, drugged up and surrounded by billows of used tissues because an unseasonably warm spell put some sort of allergen in the air that made my nose run like an open firehose, and yes, I blame the weather.

And I nearly had a face full of spider web this morning because the spiders that recently retreated to winter quarters have re-emerged in response to warmer weather but I don't expect spiderwebs across my front door in November so BOOM there it was, yuck, and yes, I blame the weather.

A committee meeting this morning was held in a room so hot and stuffy that people felt stifled and tempers simmered until they boiled over, and the room was hot because our HVAC system finally got switched over to heat last week in response to below-freezing temperatures and it's not feasible to switch it quickly back to air conditioning so yes, I blame the weather. 

Can I find the way to blame the weather for the fire that badly damaged a campus sorority house, displacing 15 students and destroying their possessions? No one knows what caused the fire yet and I guess I'm glad that the weather was warm so they didn't freeze to death when they fled the house, and nobody was hurt and the house can be renovated and the students have been re-housed (ugly word for a comforting concept) so no, I can't blame the weather for the fire, but I can't find anyone else to blame either so all that misery is just floating around loose, mingling with the heat and the allergens and all that leaf mold being blown into the air by the battalion of leaf-blowers all over campus, and the leaf-blowers wouldn't be blowing if the leaves hadn't fallen, so yes, I blame the weather.

The good news, though, is that my nose has stopped running and cooler temperatures are on the way this weekend so the spiders should beat a retreat from my front door and the committee meeting rooms will be just normally stuffy instead of unbearable. And for that, we can thank the weather.  

No comments: