Friday, November 12, 2021

Can't hit the steps without a soundtrack

I'm in a panic after looking at next week's schedule. In addition to teaching four classes on MWF, I am also either encouraged or expected to attend meetings at the following times: Monday at noon, Monday at 4 (two different meetings!), Monday at 5, Tuesday at 12:15, Tuesday at 4, Wednesday at 4, Thursday at 4 (two different meetings!). Friday is my only meeting-free day, but by then I'll be too exhausted to celebrate. This week I backed out of two meetings because I was sick, but that excuse will only stretch so far--and besides, some of these meetings are kind of important. Not important enough to inspire me to be in two places at once, but important all the same. Good thing I'm not trying to, like, have a life or anything.

Someone needs to put this disastrous song-and-dance to music. Call it the Priorities Polka, the Too-Many-Meetings Blues, the Academic Hokey-Pokey, or whatever will put enable me to waltz from one conference room or Zoom call to another without tripping over my own fat feet. And a-one, and a-two--hit it, boys!

(You first.)

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave Barry once wrote: If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be 'meetings.'

Bev said...

Hear, hear! Fortunately, this kind of week doesn't happen often. I'm on a search committee and this week we're doing Zoom interviews, so that adds a lot to the usual meeting load.