Monday, June 21, 2021

Questions keeping me awake this week

Why does the prospect of turning 60 feel so traumatic? Turning 50 was a breeze--but then I'd just recovered from cancer treatment and was happy to be alive. Why does 60 feel so final?

Will I have a party? What kind of party? Who has time to attend a party in the middle of finals week? How can I prevent gifts? Can I throw a party without revealing that it's my birthday?

Why am I thinking about my December birthday in the middle of June?

Wait, we're nearly done with June! How did we get here? Why am I not further along on my summer projects? And how can I work on anything significant when I need to clean the house in preparation for the grandkids' visit?

That mouse in the guest room--where did it come from and why is it in my house at this time of year? No mouse droppings in any of the usual places, no mouse nests, no tripped traps, but suddenly while I'm vacuuming this mouse comes scurrying out of the closet and scampers under the bed. Why why why won't it just go outside and leave me alone? 

Will the mouse go away before the grandkids arrive later this week? How can I persuade it to flee or die? And must I be bothered by such brutal thoughts when I'm getting ready for some happy grandkid time?

Why did that bathroom throw rug have to choose this week to disintegrate in the washing machine? How will I get all those sticky bits of rubber backing out of the washer so they won't clog up the works? If I use the vacuum to clear the debris out of the washing machine, won't I end up with a clogged vacuum?

Will the rain clear up in time for the grandkids' visit? If not, how will I get any mowing done? Will they still want to throw rocks in the creek if it's drizzling all day long? 

Will they see the mouse and give it a name? Will they want to pet it and hold it? What if it's just the beginning of a major infestation? Will the hummingbirds visiting the feeders out front be sufficient to distract from the prospect of mice? Do I dare fill the bird-feeders or will that just tempt the raccoons to come and take them apart again?

So many important things going on in the world--why am I lying awake at 3 a.m. worrying about age and debris and mice and weather? Why can't I obsess over more serious questions? Even my midnight obsessions are inadequate!


No comments: