Tuesday, June 15, 2021

It takes a turkey to slow me down

I followed a wild turkey down the driveway the other day. Normally they'll scamper off into the woods as soon as a car appears, but this turkey just kept walking, slowly, down the middle of the driveway, and there was nothing I could do but follow at a turkey's pace until it finally veered off into the woods. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry! Sometimes it takes a lazy turkey to slow me down.

Recent weather has slowed down my mowing and hiking and, really, everything requiring being outside. On Sunday I arrived home to find that the neighbors had mowed the one part of their field that borders our property, which made my unmowed lawn look like it belonged to the house where the witch lives. So I got out the mower and weed-whacker and worked as quickly as I could before the rain started, slowly at first, with bright sunshine beaming between socially distanced raindrops. I needed more time! What would the neighbors have thought if they'd seen me out there mowing in a light rain while yelling at the sky to Stop it--just stop it! Soon enough, the sky yelled back and I had to go inside where I could watch the storm in safety.

Of course all this wet, windy weather has dropped limbs all over my road and made our phone lines virtually unusable--voices sound like they're coming from a great distance over a tin-can-and-string setup. So I was late to get word that my dad had a bit of an episode and ended up in the hospital, where he discovered that everything that's wrong with him is doing what one would expect--getting worse with time. But the immediate crisis is over and he should be back in assisted living soon. I need to call him, but he won't be able to hear me on my home phone. I guess I'll need to drive someplace where I can get some cell reception and call from there.

Still living life at a turkey's pace! But that's what summer break is all about.


No comments: