Thursday, February 18, 2021

Once again I wonder: Where's the faculty helicopter when I need it?

Just in case anyone thought this week couldn't get any weirder, yesterday a tow-truck tried to drive up my driveway to haul away my son's car for repairs, but it couldn't manage the final curve and so tried to back down and slipped on some ice and got stuck sideways next to the bridge and had to call another tow-truck to pull it out. Meanwhile, my son's car still sits there waiting for a tow.

But I am on campus this morning! Getting here was quite an adventure: I packed up my laptop, books, and everything I'll need for a few days in town in a roller bag, bundled up in long-johns and layers, and walked a mile and a half in the snow this morning so a colleague could pick me up at the end of my road where it meets the highway. It was a lovely morning for a walk, with kingfishers calling above the frozen creek and trees still dappled with snow and ice, but walking a mile and a half in full winter gear while pulling a roller bag over a steep, snow-covered road is not exactly a walk in the park. Nevertheless I survived and here I am on campus once again, ready to get caught up on everything.



No comments: