Friday, February 19, 2021

Friday poetry challenge: Winter weather blues

As I walked six blocks through slush and cold to campus this morning, I started composing a Winter Weather Blues in my head, even though no mere song could adequately express the angst inspired by my most recent travails. 

After the massive effort required to get to campus yesterday, I wasn't about to do it all over again this morning, so I decided to stay in town last night. Now I have standing offers from a number of colleagues to let me camp out in their spare rooms, but I don't know how to maintain social distancing in those circumstances--and besides, all my friends have indoor dogs, which would be bound to stimulate an allergy attack.

So instead I decided to stimulate the local economy. I booked a room in the only hotel within walking distance of campus, a historic pile located on the banks of the Ohio River, a place habitually described as charming, quirky, and full of character. By the time I was done with class preps and meetings yesterday, I didn't care about charm or quirks or character; I just wanted a warm, dry room where I could finally take off my boots, put up my feet, and watch the steely-gray river roll by. Which I did, at great length. It is quite a river.

The hotel was quiet as a tomb, no surprise since I saw never saw more than three cars in the parking lot. I heard the occasional train across the river and some honking from the geese that hang out along its banks, but otherwise I mostly sat and watched the river and then, thankfully, slept. Last night I feasted on fabulous lamb vindaloo from the local Indian food-truck restaurant, but this morning I was up and out before all the coffee shops opened so I settled for a danish out of a vending machine. Who knows how old that danish might have been? 

And who cares? I'm back on campus now and I'll get my car back this afternoon. Better yet, the weather forecast suggests that I may actually be able to get it up the driveway. Next week we're looking at temps in the mid-40s and rain, which will be a nice break from all the ice. But meanwhile, it's time to put all that wintry angst into song:

I've got those can't-get-up-the-driveway-so-let's-stimulate-the-local-economy blues.
Oh
I've got those can't-get-up-the-driveway-so-let's-stimulate-the-local-economy blues.
Just looking for a warm place where I can kick off my winter shoes.

Oh the river keeps on rolling through the wind and snow and rain and ice and slush.
Yes that river keeps on rolling through the wind and snow and rain and ice and slush.
Seems like Mother Nature don't mess with Old Man River much.

Oh the snow just keeps on falling and the slush piles up for miles and miles and miles.
Yes the snow just keeps on falling and the slush piles up for miles and miles and miles.
But one day when the sun comes out--just watch as it unfreezes all our smiles.

That's my winter blues. Now it's your turn.

 

This is what they mean by "quirky": power outlet in the middle of the bathroom mirror.


No comments: