Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Perpetual motion machine on the premises

When the slides at the playground are too hot for the grandkids to slide on, and when I can't carry my camera because my hands are too sweaty, and when two adults and three children are tempted to squeeze into a tiny kiddie pool, it's too stinking hot.

I know I shouldn't complain because the heat wave is worse further south and we are blessed with abundant air conditioning--and besides, the heat wave has slowed the grass down so much that I may not even have to mow this week. But the heat melts my brain cells and makes it hard to make sense of our whirlwind weekend, and when you mix in sleep deprivation caused by the abundant amateur fireworks taking place in our neighborhood, it's really hard to formulate a coherent thought. Nevertheless here are some highlights of our holiday weekend:

We worked a jigsaw puzzle, splashed in the kiddie pool, visited playgrounds, had some socially distant visits with fun people, ate hot dogs and sweet corn and homemade potato salad followed by fresh peach pie (a group effort) on the Fourth, colored pictures and chalked sidewalks and threw rocks in the creek and (some of us) went for a long walk in the woods very early in the morning before the temperature hit triple digits.

My grandson hit some long balls in the backyard, with Grampa pitching. My younger granddaughter, dressed as a rainbow, decorated our front walk with sidewalk chalk. My older granddaughter tried once again to build a bridge across our creek, so determined that I have no doubt that one she'll finally succeed. We told stories and silly jokes and looked at birds and buds and butterflies.

All weekend our household felt like a perpetual motion machine, lubricated by love and laughter so that even when the thermometer soared, the machine never stopped working. Now, though, it's time to give it a rest--preferably indoors, in front of a fan.














No rock is too big for this kid.




No comments: