Friday, January 24, 2020

So apparently it's not the end of the world as we know it

The best thing I've heard all week was a student--and not even an English major but a future petroleum engineer--telling his classmate, "I've already started accumulating my library."

Accumulating my library! The dream of my youth, but a dream shared by too few students these days. I'm still accumulating my library, but I'm also doing some weeding out because I'm running out of space to store my accumulations and the Kindle leaves me cold.

This week I've also heard the ping that tells me my home internet connection has been restored better than ever. No internet service at home for a whole week, no idea why despite running several tests, and then last night just as I was getting ready to do one final test, I hooked the wi-fi hotspot up again and suddenly had the strongest, fastest internet connection I've ever had at home. Who can explain it? Well, maybe Verizon could explain it if I got through to the right person, but I'm not terribly interested in dealing with their customer service again, especially when things are suddenly going so well.

I'm even seeing a little more clearly today after struggling with an eye irritation that kept causing my left eye to suddenly start weeping copiously for no apparent reason at the most inopportune times, like when I was observing a colleague's teaching. I had to go up afterward and explain that it wasn't his teaching that drove me to tears, but today I'm hardly teary-eyed at all and the world is far less blurry than it has been recently.

It's been a busy week and far less productive than I would have wished, but I can march into the weekend with eyes less prone to weeping, home wi-fi more responsive, and students inspiring me with their accumulation of libraries. As crazy and distressing as the world is today, I have to take my comforts where I find them and hope to avoid excessive weeping.



 

No comments: