Monday, January 06, 2020

Life's a blur and then you cry

I'm driving along the Ohio River when I see what I swear is a man fly-fishing, which is highly unlikely both because it's the wrong time of year and the wrong type of body of water for fly-fishing and because anyone standing that far out of the water at that point in the river either has legs 20 feet long or is performing a miracle, and that's when I know I need to give my eyes a break.

I've been spending way too much time in front of my computer pointing and clicking and typing and deleting so now I'm seeing double, but I'm also not seeing things that ought to be there. For instance, I know I have an eye exam scheduled soon, but I've looked all over my calendar and I can't find it listed anywhere; also, when I went looking for the W.S. Merwin documentary Even Though the Whole World is Burning, I found the DVD case exactly where I expected it to be but no DVD inside. I last used that DVD for a class three years ago, so now all I need to do is retrace my steps for the past three years and I'm sure to stumble upon my DVD somewhere. (As if.) 

To make the eye fatigue worse, I haven't been sleeping well because my subconscious mind refuses to believe that the semester can start on a Thursday and therefore keeps waking me up in a panic to remind me that I'm not ready to start teaching on Monday, AKA today. I don't have any Thursday classes anyway so I don't need to be in the classroom ready to roll until this Friday, but deep inside me this schedule feels so wrong that it disturbs my sleep, or what passes for sleep these days.

There's one place where I wish my vision were less acute: every time I look at my computer monitor, I see behind it stacks of books waiting to be restored to their proper places. These are books I pulled from the shelves for various reasons last semester, and now I need to put them back where they belong so that they'll be easily findable next time I need them, but how can I get my books into alphabetical order when my vision is so blurry that I can't read the authors' names on the spines? Time to give my eyes a break, maybe go out and look at the river for a while...but then there we are back where we started and I still don't know what that guy's doing out there fly-fishing in January. 

Please, somebody, help!
 



 

No comments: