Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Buttonholed by beauty

I walked into a class this morning and heard a student say "You always have such cute outfits," and I had to look behind me to see if she was talking to someone else. But no: she was talking to me, which is kind of crazy because (1) some of my teaching clothes are as old as my students; (2) living in two houses means that I don't always have access to the items I need to complete an outfit; and (3) it's just plain black pants and a sage camp shirt today, nothing particularly special.

But I did remember--for the third time this semester!--to accessorize. The sage camp shirt features these lovely marbled brown buttons, which reminded me of a necklace I haven't worn for years. (I have a thing for cute buttons. Years ago, I bought a set of antique mother-of-pearl buttons at a flea market and then sewed an entire wool skirt suit to show off the buttons. Charcoal gray wool with a burgundy silk blouse, in case you were wondering.) 

So if that necklace has been sitting there for years--possibly decades--without screaming to be worn, why did I put it on today?
 
I blame my mom. Last week in Florida I looked at some of her pretty things and thought how sad it was that she used them so rarely, but then I realized that someday someone will say the same thing about me: all those earrings, necklaces, and brooches gathering dust in a jewelry box! Why not put them to use?

So while I'm working hard to prepare meaningful activities for my students, I'm also putting a little more thought into how I can use all the little pretty things in my jewelry box. I'll never be a fashion plate because I'm far more interested in comfort than style, but I can spend a few extra minutes in the morning bringing a smidgen of beauty into the world--just for today. (No promises about tomorrow.)

Button and necklace, made for each other.
  



 

No comments: