Monday, July 08, 2019

So quiet you can hear a frog knocking

I was sitting on the sofa reading in a very quiet house last night when I heard a tap on the window six inches away and found a frog looking in. It sat on the windowsill watching calmly for about ten minutes before hopping away. Must be a fan of Jane Austen.
 
And speaking of wildlife, I had to slam on the brakes and swerve into the other lane yesterday to avoid hitting two fawns that had wandered onto the highway. This wasn't a narrow country road but a four-lane divided highway with cars zipping past at 65 miles per hour. I missed the fawns, and my maneuver must have alerted the car behind me because it stopped short and put on its hazard lights while the two fawns just stood there, like deer in the headlights (except there were no headlights at midday). I hope they eventually made it to safety, but truly, there's such a thing as being too innocent.

The grandkids are still pretty innocent of the hazards of the woods, so we kept a good eye out for poison ivy on a short hike at Lake Katharine the other evening. They are so eager to explore that I hate to curb their enthusiasm, but we're all happier when they hold our hands and stay on the path. They liked the lake and the waterfall but weren't particularly pleased with the mosquitoes.

Our wild weekend with the grandkids was hot and sticky but full of fun and laughter (and sweet corn and ice cream, among other treats). They did a good job of cleaning up before they left but nevertheless I keep finding things that pleasantly remind me of their presence: dolls in my bedroom, squirty toys in the tub, Pegasus on the hearth. Funny how much more intense the quiet feels after such a noisy weekend. So quiet you could hear a frog knocking....

The camera was in the car, so I did my best with my phone.

That's one way to cool down.

My daughter took this shot, and the ones below.

Indian pipes!

I love taking the family into the woods, even when it's hot and buggy.
 

No comments: