Saturday, May 11, 2019

Quite a spectacle if you know where to look

Last week we marveled at the roomful of exotic orchids at Longwood Gardens; this morning I found several species of orchids growing wild in my neck of the woods. My eagle-eyed husband saw the tiny rattlesnake plantain orchid leaves nearly hidden alongside the path plus another variety I can't identify just getting ready to blossom, and I found some blooming showy orchis (galearis spectabilis, quite a spectacle if you know where to look), which provided the identification for yesterday's mystery plant. We also saw lots of jack-in-the-pulpit and some oddball species that don't tend to show up in formal gardens, like a tall grass producing spiky pods and a cluster of squawroot, aka bear corn, a non-photosynthesizing parasite that feeds on oak roots. Spring ephemerals are done but the magnolias are still blooming and I'm sure there's more to come, as long as we keep looking. 

My botany expert identifies this as spotted wintergreen.

Jack in the pulpit

Morning-star sedge?


Showy orchis


Squawroot or bear corn

Rattlesnake plantain orchid.

More magnolia.


No comments: