Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The view from sabbatical

On a quick visit to campus yesterday I encountered a couple of English majors who ran up and gave me a big ol' hug. "We miss you!" they said, but I reminded them that they're in very good hands in my absence. It was good to chat with them because the main thing I miss during my sabbatical is spending time with students.

Granted, I don't miss all the grading, or the lame excuses or late-night e-mails asking questions that can easily be answered by reference to the syllabus--especially the e-mails that start off "Hey!" and eschew punctuation. Next week students will be registering for fall classes, and I'm eternally grateful for the colleague who is handling my two remaining advisees, because advising season always makes me a little bit crazy. 

But I miss the students' energy, their occasionally brilliant responses to literature, their willingness to pour themselves onto the page for writing assignments. I miss hearing them discuss their reading and reach out to help each other when they struggle to understand. I miss the ones who stop by my office for no reason just to chat, and I even miss the high-maintenance ones who stop by for big reasons that require tissues and listening.

It's only one semester so I won't have to miss them for long, but I'm already eager to share with them some plans for next fall's classes. While they're keeping their eyes focused on the task right in front of them so they can get through this semester, I'm standing back and seeing the big picture, the exciting plans awaiting beyond spring and summer. And that's what I love about a sabbatical: released from the daily grind, I can take a longer view and make big changes, or small changes that will have a big impact over time. 

Just wait and see, I want to tell them. You have no idea what delights are waiting just around the corner.

No comments: