Monday, October 29, 2018

What, you think I just twiddle my thumbs between conferences?

Stuck in my office meeting with one student after another to talk about their drafts and projects and problems with writing and I need to do something to amuse myself between conferences. Limerick time!

In my one-on-one meetings with students,
I keep telling them, "It would be prudent
to eschew obfuscation."
But I hear protestations:
"Why can't I figure out just what you meant?"

"State a thesis," I tell them, "quite clearly,
and if you start every sentence (or nearly)
with 'there is,' revise."
But then they seem surprised
when "there exists" strikes me so queerly.

So if my vocab leaves them perplexed
while theirs hurts my ears, what comes next?
I could dumb down my words
while they step up their verbs
beyond "is." Problem solved. (I'm still vexed.)

No comments: