Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Turning up the heat on chocolate

At a colleague's house recently I bit into a brownie that first filled my mouth with rich chocolatey goodness and then kept developing new layers of flavors that made my taste buds sing. I had to have the recipe, and now I've made the brownies at home and I honestly believe these are the best brownies I've ever eaten. Anyone who doesn't like cayenne pepper or chili powder probably ought to leave the room, though, which is fine because that means more brownies for the rest of us. The chili flavor is subtle but it bursts on the tongue in a way that makes the chocolate feel that much more wonderful, and the walnuts complement the gooey texture. But don't take my word for it--try 'em yourself.


Dave Brown's Brownies with Chili and Walnuts

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons chili powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
½ tsp salt
¾ cup flour
1 ½ cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 324.

Melt chocolate and one stick of butter in microwave and then cool.

Grease and flour 9x13 pan.

Cream second stick of butter, sugar, and vanilla in mixer. Add chili powder, cayenne, and cinnamon. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add chocolate/butter mixture and blend thoroughly.

Stir in flour and salt and nuts. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
 

2 comments:

JaneB said...

Walnuts I endorse 100% (pecans also work if they're easier to get).

I do NOT like hot spices - but a half teaspoon of cinnamon or a little coffee powder can also make brownies transcendent...

Bev said...

I generally prefer pecans, but the walnuts were just perfect in this recipe.