Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Breaking free from grading jail

The best thing about being done with grading (aside from BEING DONE WITH GRADING!!!!!) is the way my schedule opens up so that I can get out for an early-morning walk while the songbirds are still filling the woods with music. This morning was a perfect time to step out into the woods, where I saw blue-gray gnatcatchers, yellow warblers, cedar waxwings, song sparrows, and a rose-breasted grosbeak, and I heard but did not see common yellowthroats, prairie warblers, and the ever-elusive cerulean warbler. This is the second year in a row I've heard the distinctive call of the cerulean warbler in that stretch of woods, which is neither my property nor easily accessible by foot. So no photos of the cerulean warbler, but I did catch a few other lovelies. On the way home I stopped at the asparagus patch and picked enough to go with tonight's dinner. After starting my day on such a bright note, I'm ready to tackle just about anything.

perfoliate bellwort!

Trilliums bloomed late and now they're nearly done.

blue-gray gnatcatcher

rose-breasted grosbeak

Some idiot dumped a sofa over the cliff into our neighbor's woods.

I believe this is a yellow warbler. Red stripes barely visible.

cedar waxwing!
 

No comments: