Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Ode on advising

I'm tired of hearing advisees say,
"I want an easy class, okay?"
Or "I can't take a class at 8!"
Or " 3 p.m.? That's way too late."
Or "I hate science!" Or "Man alive,
no math for me! It gives me hives!"
Or "Someone said that teacher's mean."
Or "Physics stinks." Or "I have seen
that teacher's syllabus and I refuse
to take a class from him." Or "Lose
the speech class, I can't talk
in front of folks." Or "I would balk
to take a literature class from you."
There's nothing left. What shall we do?

If every class that I propose
Produces choruses of NOs,
It makes me wish I could advise, 
"Go flip some burgers, fry some fries,
and come back when you want to work
at learning." But I'm not a jerk,
and so we meet again, again,
again, until we finally pen
a schedule full of classes that
won't make them scream. (I tip my hat
at anyone who can do more.)
But before I send them out the door,
there's one more lever left to pull--
Oops, it's too late! That class is full!

No comments: