Friday, April 25, 2014

All board for the final exam express!

Same scene, two days in a row: I'm holding a final class session devoted to preparing for the final exam, but if students don't have questions, the session doesn't last long. In two different classes a student wanders in looking barely awake 15 minutes into class and just manages to sit down when I say, "Okay, if there are no more questions, I'll see you next week," and the late-arriving student startles and says, "Wait, what?" 

Sorry, buddy. You snooze, you lose! I'm not sticking around for an extra half-hour inventing things to talk about just to make one student feel as if he's getting his money's worth. I've done all I can to equip my students to succeed; now it's all on them. 

Well, except the grading. That's all on me:

Seven papers, five exams,
thirty-two assessments,
check the boxes, file the grades--
wonder where my stress went?

No comments: