Thursday, December 29, 2011

Aimless bullet-points of puttering

Over the past three days, I have:

  • Driven north to visit relatives and driven back south again with snow all over my car.
  • Eaten Mexican food--twice.
  • Shopped for kitchen rugs, jeans, a bedspread, and books.
  • Watched the final two episodes of the first season of Downton Abbey on Netflix.
  • Engaged in conversations regarding family history, preachers' kids, attention-deficit disorder, gasoline-powered generators, the decline of the U.S. Postal Service, and cranky colleagues.
  • Experienced confusion when a relative asked me what odd sort of car I drive (Volvo) and who makes that model (Volvo) and what the name of the company is (Volvo) and what other brands of car they make (Volvo). I'm still not sure exactly what he was looking for but I don't intend to go back and find out.
  • Taught my husband how to text-message.
  • Set up a g-mail account so my husband can get his own mail.
  • Not blogged.
  • Not started my thank-you notes.
  • Not written a word except via text-messaging.
  • Not established any sort of research and writing schedule for my sabbatical.

And yet I'm feeling content. This aimless puttering seems like the right way to bring a busy year to a close.

No comments: