Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Five reasons to be thankful

It's snowing! Once I get home this afternoon, I have no urgent need to leave the house until Sunday--so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

My daughter is coming home (and bringing my wonderful future son-in-law)! So, okay, maybe the snow can stay light until she arrives this evening, but after that, let the sky fall!

My MLA paper is done! Well, the draft is done...it's 10 pages long with a weak conclusion, so I'll need to revisit it after I get some distance. But still: next month I'll get to attend MLA to give a paper about a topic I love, and I won't have to spend any time in the big ugly interview room entertaining candidates desperate to work here. That's right--for the first time in four years, we have no search in our department, so I get to do MLA the right way: attend sessions, give a paper, be a scholar, and goof off, all on the college's nickel.

I'm done reading freshman drafts! I do have a pile of upper-level literature paper drafts to read this weekend, but from this point until the final exam, I won't need to read or comment on another freshman draft.

And did I mention that it's snowing?! That ought to be enough to make anyone thankful.

3 comments:

JM said...

Hey, goof off at MLA in my direction! I'll be there.

Bev said...

Sounds like an excellent plan!

Anonymous said...

First, congrats on the accomplishing a draft: weeks early even!

And enjoy the snow: we have freezing fog here, alas. I'm looking forward to the relative warmth of San Fran.

Happy Thanksgiving, and thank you for your blog. I'm enjoying it.